Sunday, February 12, 2012

Empty arms

This morning at Mass I really felt an emptiness... It seemed like there were a thousand pregnant moms or moms with little babies surrounding me. As Toby is becoming more and more independent, he was standing by himself and for the most part didn't want to be held.

It's beautiful to see him grow and mature, but a day like today confirmed to me a truth about motherhood that I've often reflection upon. That is, a mothers greatest joy is also a great sorrow - to see her child grow and gain independence.

Today I just wanted to hold Toby and cuddle him as I want to fill the void I feel. But I couldn't. My arms ached and longed for someone to hold and nurture.

But for now I must content myself to be in the arms of Our Lord. I can be as restless with God as Toby can be with me. As much as I want to hold, right now is my time to be held by my Father.

No comments:

Post a Comment